1951 vs. 1994 February 1st, 1994
From the February 1994 ARPA TIMETABLE
- Answer: 42 in 1951, 48 in 1994.
- Question: How many hours does the Sunset Limited take from Los Angeles to New Orleans?
- Note: The 1951 Sunset ran through Arizona via Chandler (before the mainline was relocated eastward), Douglas (on the present-day San Pedro & Southwestern) and Dos Hermanas (now abandoned).
- Answer: Tucson 5, Phoenix 4.
- Question: How many Southern Pacific trains ran through these cities every day, in each direction, in 1951?
- Note: The Sunset Limited, Golden State, Imperial, and Passenger No. 43/44 ran via Phoenix, while the Argonaut used the more southerly SP mainline.
- Answer: Three in 1951, Four in 1994.
- Question: How many daily trains are there from San Francisco to Bakersfield, CA?
- Note: In 1951, these Southern Pacific trains (S.P. Daylight, Owl, West Coast) left from the Market Street station in San Francisco and ran through to Los Angeles. In 1994 the Amtrak San Joaquins depart from Oakland and terminate at Bakersfield, with Thruway bus connections to LA.
Source: Timetables from Southern Pacific (1951) and Amtrak (1994.)