Wickenburg Depot Centennial July 29th, 1995
On 29 July 1995, Wickenburg Arizona celebrated the one hundred year anniversary of its railroad depot. The structure stands in its original 1895 design, without additions or modifications, and is one of the few such surviving examples of “Wild West” railroad architecture. Vice-Mayor Carol Ann Beard briefly described the history of the depot, which now serves as the Chamber of Commerce. “Estelle’s Garden,” in memory of a longtime Chamber supporter, was dedicated. The ceremonies were followed by food, music, lemonade, and ice cream, to the delight of the attendees who braved the unusually hot afternoon.
This depot last saw passenger service in May 1969 when the Santa Fe discontinued the “Peavine Line” train between Phoenix and Williams Junction. Freight still travels the line, including auto-racks for the El Mirage auto distribution center, intermodal traffic to and from Phoenix, and general merchandise.
The Arizona Rail “White Paper,” issued by A.R.P.A. in 1992, calls for regional passenger rail service, including extension to Wickenburg.