1951 Sunset Corridors August 21st, 1998
(1998 Commentary by William Lindley)
With Amtrak’s 1998 Business Plan discussing primarily Corridors, rather than long-distance trains, it may be instructive to look at the “corridor” and long-distance services which Southern Pacific offered along the Sunset Route in 1951. Read the rest of this entry »
Intercity Vision Statement August 15th, 1998
The following vision was approved 15 August 1998 by the Program Development Committee (Rob Bohannan, Roy Burris, Pete Glass, Rob Lindley, William Lindley, Sam Morse, Betty Nelson, Marc Pearsall)
- A nationwide balanced transportation system which includes an intercity passenger rail component whose scope approximates the Interstate Highway System
- All intercity trains shall operate on at least a daily frequency.
- All Southern Arizona trains shall serve Phoenix.
- There shall be a rail passenger link between Northern and Southern Arizona.
- All trains shall have sufficient equipment to accomodate capacity of passenger demand.
EXAMPLE ARIZONA SERVICE COMPONENTS:
- Grand Canyon – Flagstaff – Los Angeles / Midwest
- Grand Canyon – Phoenix
- Phoenix – Tucson – Nogales
- Los Angeles – Yuma – Phoenix – Texas / Florida
- Phoenix – Tucson – Midwest