Rail for Arizona
APRIL 2007 UPDATE: Current Amtrak Services in Arizona
These types of rail systems exist, are planned, or should be built in Arizona:
- Light Rail and Modern Streetcars in the metro Phoenix and Tucson areas;
- Commuter Rail within the metro Phoenix and Tucson areas;
- Regional Rail connecting metro areas in Southern Arizona;
- Intercity Rail connecting Arizona cities and towns with other States.
Close integration of rail systems with public transportation such as city bus systems is key.
Progress Report – September 2006
- The Arizona Department of Transportation is working on their Rail Inventory and Assessment Study.
- The Maricopa Association of Governments is preparing a Commuter Rail Strategic Plan, starting in late 2006 to be completed in early 2007. This will include an analysis of “SWOT” (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) presented in the implementation of commuter rail in the metro Phoenix area. It will also present an Implementation Strategy.
- The Arizona Transit Association is organizing the Second Annual Passenger Rail Symposium for Autumn 2007.
Please see Wikipedia as the most up-to-date source for: